When some people hear “used,” they think of something of lesser quality. But in many fields, including commercial bakery equipment, this couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Many businesses do their best to keep their equipment running in peak condition, usually only changing it out due to perceived obsolescence or evolving business needs. This means that when they change their old equipment out, that second-hand equipment has been well maintained and is still of high quality.
But does buying used bakery equipment make sense for your business? Let’s look at the advantages of purchasing new and used bakery equipment and a commonly overlooked third option, refurbishment.
Pros and Cons of New and Used Equipment
When purchasing industrial baking equipment, it helps to consider if you’ll be buying either new or used. Both are valid options and have distinct advantages, as well as some cons you should consider before buying.
New Equipment Pros
- It’s NEW! While it should go without saying, some people just like the idea of new equipment. Bright and shiny off of the factory floor, new equipment often offers the latest in technology and modern features. More recent machines also tend to be more energy efficient than their older counterparts, giving them the potential to help save on energy costs down the road.
- Still Under Warranty. Next to wanting the newest thing, being under warranty is one of the biggest reasons some buyers purchase new equipment. A brand new piece of industrial or commercial bakery equipment is expensive, and a warranty helps alleviate the risk by ensuring that if the machine is defective in any way, it will be fixed or replaced at no cost.
- Needs Less Maintenance. Another advantage of new equipment is that it requires less maintenance than older equipment. All the parts are new and set up for peak efficiency, meaning that you can let the machine do its job while performing basic, preventive maintenance.
New Equipment Cons
- Very Expensive. One of the most prominent disadvantages of buying new equipment is the high up-front cost. For new business owners, the ability to outfit their factory or business with all-new equipment might not be an option because of budgetary constraints.
- High Depreciation. Another issue to consider is that industrial bakery equipment holds its value like a new car driven off the showroom floor. Once your new equipment arrives in your building, it’s already worth less than half the price you just paid for it. Used equipment, in comparison, doesn’t lose its value nearly as much and may be an important consideration for some people.
- Limited Availability. Another issue with new equipment is that of availability. Recent years have shown us that just because you can afford something doesn’t mean you can get it, and you’re out of luck if the manufacturer doesn’t have it in stock. Worse still is the dreaded “available soon,” which means that nobody, including the manufacturer, knows exactly when they’ll have it back.
Used Equipment Pros
- Good Quality. As we mentioned before, companies often take good care of their machines and usually replace them for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the device itself. This means that when you buy used machines, they are still in good working order and have years of life left.
- Available Immediately. New equipment can be hard to come by, and limited manufacturing runs, chip shortages, supply chain issues, and other global challenges can make new machines difficult to get. With used equipment, however, the machine is already present and available for sale.
- Lower Price. Because new equipment loses its sticker price value so quickly, you can often buy used equipment for a fraction of the price. And because you’re buying from an individual instead of a manufacturer, you usually have some leeway to haggle, possibly getting an even better deal than the one originally advertised.
- Older Equipment. Some people say they don’t make them like they used to. Older machines that have proven their worth over the years might become hard to replace because they become too old or outdated. However, suppose you like doing things the way you’ve always done them. In that case, second-hand industrial and commercial bakery machines may be the solution to replacing your older, hard-to-find equipment.
Used Equipment Cons
- Limited Availability. Like new equipment, used equipment may have limited availability for different reasons. With used equipment, what you see available is what you can get. This limited selection can be a problem if what’s available doesn’t match your needs.
- More Repairs. It’s a fact that older machines need more repairs, and they tend to break down more frequently and require more regular maintenance than brand-new models.
- No Warranty. Depending on the age of the equipment, you may no longer be able to claim the manufacturer’s original warranty. So while used equipment may be cheaper, you run the risk of having to buy it “as is.”
The Overlooked Third Option: Refurbished Equipment
Deciding between new and used equipment isn’t your only choice. We’d like to discuss a third, equally viable option: refurbished equipment.
But what are the benefits of refurbished equipment?
- Like New. When you buy used equipment, regardless of how well it’s been maintained, it’s often sold in the same condition it was in when it was retired. When you buy a refurbished machine, however, the company selling it has gone back and inspected the equipment and made any necessary repairs to ensure it runs like new.
- Affordable. Because refurbished equipment is used, it is sold for a fraction of the original price. And depending on the seller, you may be able to negotiate, as they may be willing to settle for the best offer.
With refurbished equipment, you can get the best of both worlds: high-quality equipment (often still under warranty) for a fraction of the original price. Some companies specialize in refurbishing; it allows them to offer a wide range of affordable used and refurbished industrial and commercial bakery equipment at much lower prices.
LMC’s Used and Refurbished Options
At Lenexa Manufacturing Company, we’re proud to offer a wide variety of machinery, including bread slicers and baggers, heat sealers, autoloaders, robots, automatic closure machines, and used bagel equipment. On our website, you can find prices, descriptions, specifications, and condition notes on every piece of equipment we sell, as well as some select video demonstrations.
Contact us today if you’re interested in seeing how refurbished bakery equipment can help your business. We would love to discuss your bakery’s needs and help provide you with affordable and reliable custom equipment that will last for years to come.